Friday, August 29, 2008

Spiders and cobwebs and ants, oh my


The Gas Station has been sitting empty for ten months, with the exception of a nice display on an easel that depicted some of the history of the neighborhood and a shot of the building when it was functioning as a filling station in the '30s and another of the hearty neighbors who stood shoulder to shoulder to insist that this small part of Glendale history should be preserved.

I went down to the park today and met with Richard Espinoza, my liaison from the Arts and Culture Department, signed a contract with the City assuring them that all is well. Put the City on the insurance policy, so that if terrorists attack, we are covered jointly.. notwithstanding a $2,500 deductible. I spent an hour sweeping out the critters and collected dust. It was a bigger job than I'd thought it would be.

It's neat to be the first artist to have work in that space. It's so simple. Huge windows and two very large doors.

A kid was playing in the park today. He told me that he lives in the apartments directly adjacent to the park. He was nine or ten. I asked him what kind of art he'd like to have in the building. He was a little shy at first and then got totally involved with the idea of putting animals in there! I told him that real animals might be a problem, but if he and his classmates wanted to make sculptures of animals... "wild animals!!" he said.. he was really getting into it!! that we might be able to pull that off.

His dad came over and we discussed the idea a little. There was a bit of a language barrier, but these guys were friendly and if this kid keeps his enthusiasm, then maybe I'll help them do a project in the Gas Station.

This view of the Gas Station is from the side. We'll use the front door there to the left, which opens out, to gain entry and won't use the other door at all, I don't think. Three more days!




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home