Sunday, August 31, 2008

Stage One complete


One day to go until I meet with officials from the City to check me into the Gas Station to begin the installation. I have my list and have been checking it over and over again, hoping that I've not forgotten something.

I've offered visitors to the site the opportunity to buy a T shirt for $12.00 and/or one of a limited edition of one hundred balloons, signed and numbered for five bucks. Having paid for all of this myself was and is my plan. However, the required insurance came in at many times what I'd expected to pay. But, one gets to a certain point and to turn back for financial reasons is just unthinkable.

The kid in the park asked me why I was doing this project. I responded in a too flippant way. Of course, I 'want to' do it. But, also, I really hope that my event and the Studio Tour where the Tropico Group will have artwork up on the Sunday (9/14) following my installation, will create an interest to the point that the City will sponsor individual artists as well as groups, maybe even school kids, and have art in there all the time on a rotating basis. I understand that under the City's aegis that users of the Gas Station will only have to sign a contract that indemnifies it from responsibility should something unexpected happen. My use process was a little more complicated!!

I evicted a bunch of ants and some scary spiders on Friday. I see that one of the spider's kin has set up shop near where the ants were trekking, so maybe he/she'll take care of any remaining ants?

If you are a Glendale resident and want to be heard on the use of City property and City programs, there will be two meetings coming up soon. One is on Thursday, September 11th, the same day I'll deconstruct the gasstationinstallation. It'll be held at Pacific Park Community Center at 7PM. 501 S. Pacific Avenue. Another Community Meeting will be held Wednesday, September 17th at 7PM at Mann Elementary School, 501 East Acacia Avenue. For further information, call Community Development and Housing at 818 548 2060.

Finally, if you'd like to support the gasstationinstallation with a contribution or purchase a T shirt or a limited edtion balloon, please leave a comment here or email me at directortv41@yahoo.com. We'll make a connection.

A plug for Daniel Castle, the balloon guy, is in order. Check his website for bargains on quantity purchases of balloons for just about any occasion. www.balloonwarehouse.com

See you Tuesday or through the week. Contact me at the email address above for a guided tour!




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home