Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Post Partum Gasstationistallationium



Three weeks ago, The gasstationinstallation: entropy went up. Blew up, so to speak. Can you say ‘blow up’ on the internet these days and not wind up on a list somewhere? Oh well. The installation was a long process and worthwhile. Nine days later on September 11th, a day that will live, etc., etc. it all came down.

The surprising thing was that the balloons really did not deteriorate as I’d thought they would. So. I waded in, waist deep in art and signed and numbered a hundred balloons, at random. At first I tried to deflate them carefully and save them, but it was taking forever. Thanks to Robert, a great producer and, as it turns out a good deflator, as fast as I could sign a balloon ‘gsi 9/11/08 1/100,’ etc… he was deflating like anything.

He had promoted the idea that as this was a public art installation, that the public should be involved in it on deflation day. I resisted until a pretty neighbor lady, Gladiola was her name, and her two little cousins came by and were genuinely interested what was happening. They, along with another little guy, Hovik, came into the gas station and away we went, deflating like anything. I've forgotten the other kids names, but the boy and the girl hid themselves under the balloons and popped them with glee. Robert came in and shot some video as I used my bamboo stick to pop the balloons pretty efficiently. He got a bunch of them all popped, too.

In about an hour we’d gotten most of the balloons dispatched and we gathered up about fifteen pounds of latex and loaded it into a Hefty bag. I had my special hundred (and one) saved balloons and with somewhat a heavy heart, loaded all the equipment out of the space, swept it clean and left a note for the Tropico Artist Collective who were scheduled to have their Studio Tour space there the following Sunday. I stuck a balloon on the note, but when I stopped by on Sunday, one of the artists said that they found the note, but not the balloon. Hmmmm?

The Glendale News Press and the Glendale Focus did terrific write ups with photos of the installation and over all I’m really pleased with the way it went. Visiting the park after ten in the evening was different every time. What pleased me a lot was the way it behaved exactly as I’d hoped. The amazing changing light source was amazing and changed a lot! I’d gotten the idea for the light from a brilliant artist friend, Jill Bell. She and I share a common interest in contemporary art. She is truly an inspiration.

I need to double thank Robert Roll and Tim Spain and Jeannie Gayle Pool who did yeoman’s.. er.. yeoperson’s .. service with the installing. I still have to do some interview stuff with Cynthia, the filmmaker gal. She may have some terrific artsy footage which I hope to take advantage of. Richard Espinoza spent a lot of his own time to help get the project up and I really look forward to working with him and the Arts and Culture Department again.

Finally. The Mayor of Glendale, John Drayman, seems to be very interested in keeping the Gas Station and the Mini-Park in use for the community. If the City would open up a couple of parking spaces near by, that might help with park usage. I really like Drayman’s idea that performing arts may be encouraged in the park, too. When I get my meeting with him, I’ll have a report. If there are Adams Hill neighbors or others who have ideas for the Gas Station, make them known to the Mayor and maybe George Chapjian, the head of Parks and Recreation. I’m hoping that Arlene Vidor and the Glendale Historical Society may align with the idea and that we can all work together under the aegis of the City to make art happen there.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home